So called “silver” amalgam fillings are a primary source of mercury exposure – a fact borne out by research just published in the Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology.
Canadian researchers analyzed the relationship between the number of dental amalgam surfaces and urinary mercury levels using data from a large philanthropic chronic disease prevention program in Calgary, Alberta.
The study group included 2,137 people who agreed to have a urinary analysis to determine their mercury levels from September 2010 through February 2013.
Those with amalgam fillings had higher levels of mercury, both under normal conditions and when given DMPS and DMSA (substances that move mercury out of bodily tissues). According to the authors,
Our estimates indicate that an individual with seven or more dental amalgam surfaces has 30% to 50% higher urinary mercury levels than an individual without amalgams. This is consistent with past literature that has identified seven amalgam surfaces as an unsafe level of exposure to mercury vapor. Our analysis suggests that continued use of silver amalgam dental fillings for restorative dentistry is a non-negligible, unnecessary source of mercury exposure considering the availability of composite resin alternatives. [emphasis added]
Could the point be made any more clearly?
You can download a free provisional version of the complete paper here.
You might wonder: How did we get to this situation in the first place, thinking nothing of putting a known neurotoxin in people’s teeth? A quick history of mercury fillings: